Laltely I have spend quite a lot of time reading funding applications for the Research Council of Norway. I must say that the process is very rigorous, and both criteria and evaluation instructions are very carfully described.
I thought that I would give you some advice based on the experience of reading nine applications, as a complement fo the learning experience of writing my own applications presented previously:
- Describe carefully what you are going to do in the project. Be very detailed and think it through.
- Try to illustate your ideas in different figures. It is a bit complicated to understand applications and images help.
- When writing text about the gender perspective of your application, do not only write the number of women and men. That is not sufficient.
- Explain how the different partners will contribute to the project you are applying for, and describe how the collaboration will work.
Some of the things I found very interesting were:
- There were indeed many action reserach projects among the applications! I didn’t realize it was such a popular methodology (or perhaps this was a strange sample that I reviewed)
- There are indeed many good applications out there.
I am looking forward to the discussion in Norway next week. It will be a great learning experience.