In Kila school the children who go to 6th grade participate in a competition where they work in teams around a theme. This year the theme is called City Shaper and the kids on the class I visited had chosen two quite different themes to work with. The class with work with the project for a number of weeks and then present their ideas in front of a jury.
Below is a YouTube video describing the set up of the project
I must say I was super impressed by this set up!! It is very similar to the IT in Society course for engineering students at Uppsala University and the focus is not only on knowledge but also on core values. This is a short translation of a description translated from their web page:
These are our core values:
- Discover: We are exploring new knowledge and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and endurance to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusive: We respect each other and benefit from our differences.
- Collaboration: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We have fun!
During my afternoon in class I briefly presented what research we are doing, and then I sat down with the different teams to discuss their ideas with them. Very inspiring!