How do you balance important deadlines with family life including kids who need support and are sick? This is something I have struggled with the past months. The plan with this blog post is as much about reminding myself of how to find the balance as it is to contribute to the discussion around this. We need to help each other cope without burning out.
This weekend I had to spend the whole days working. I had one deadline on Tuesday and one on Thursday. It it very seldom I end up in this situation. That is good. And I had made a New Years’ resolution NOT to end up in this situation at all. Four weeks later I am completely swamped with work and all kinds of things have happened at home with the kids. And of course that means I need to prioritise my fours kids. But it stresses me out completely.
So what can you (I) do in this situation:
- Prioritise the things in your calendar into the grid of important and urgent. I found this blog post that really describes the method well:
- Set asked time to prioritize and reflect on what you do on a regular basis to keep track of how you prioritize.
- Ask people for help when possible. Both with family things and at work.
- Set asked time to exercise to get rid of stress.
- Use the pomodoro technique when you focus on the important things. This means set an alarm Clock and do nothing but the things you planned to do.
- See to it that you get enough sleep.