One could think that doing a PhD at one university would be the same thing as doing it at another university. Well, I can tell you that this is not the situation.
There are many different things that can vary for PhD students, and if you want to do a PhD you need to make sure that you know what you can expect from the department you enroll at.
If you ever consider doing a PhD you have to make sure that the following is clear:
- Does the supervisor seem to be a person who you would like to collaborate with?
- What is the research project going to be about? Are you going to work in a project with a specification you need to follow?
- What kind of PhD courses do they offer at the department?
- Who else are you going to work with? Is your supervisor going to be on your project?
- What kind of funding is available for conferences, computers etc?